PROFILE: Dr. PONNI M. CONCESSAO, Architect / Interiors
Ms Ponni Concessao is a native of Chennai, studied at Church Park Presentation Convent, Chennai and studied art under Mrs.Rajamani. She then went on to become the first woman student of the NIT Trichy – a premier institution in India. She completed her architectural master’s studies at Cornell University USA and went on to specialize in Affordable Housing at Harvard University in the US. She holds a Ph.D. degree in Modern Architecture from the University of Milan, Italy.
While studying in Church Park and NIT Trichy Ponni won national awards for art. Her chosen medium of art is oil painting besides water colours.
Being an architect, Ponni’s contemporary art focuses on spaces, volumes and linear geometry that infuses strong colours and contrasts. It is art that is seen through an architect’s eyes. Other contemporary paintings focuses on spirituality and world religion and the cosmos. The traditional Indian Andhra art of Kalamkari is captured in two paintings of deities. She also paints natural landscapes of England, Italy and rural India. The variety of themes has been influenced by Ponni’s global travels. Ponni’s inspirations come from the European artists and such as Rembrandt, Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo etc. As in Architecture, architects experiment in different styles and the same trend is reflected in Ponni’s art.
CURRENT PROJECTS & SPECIALIZATIONS
Architecture & Urban Design of Engineering and Medical campuses, Sustainable Green Buildings, Eco Friendly Architecture, Affordable Housing, Tsunami Housing, Central Government & State Government Buildings, Special Economic Zones (SEZ) Townships, IT Parks, Biotech Parks & Hospitals, Hotels and Resorts, Highrise Apartments & Office Towers, Stadiums, Residential Schools, Skyscrapers, High Rise Office and Residential Towers, Corporate offices, Apartments, Luxury bungalows, Interiors for Five Star Hotels, Resorts, Restaurants, Software Parks and Luxury residences, Projects built in Middle East, USA, and several cities in India.
- Schooling at Church Park Convent, Chennai, Tamilnadu State.
- B.Arch 1987, University of Madras, Regional Engineering College, Tiruchirapalli (NIT).
- M. Arch 1989, Cornell University, USA.
- Advanced professional Studies 1992, Harvard University, USA.
- Ph.D. in Modern Architecture, Malaysia, February 2008.
- Diploma Designing in Stone, Verona, Italy October 2010.
- Honorary Doctorate in Architectural Science, Universita Milano, 2014.
AWARDS: Won more than 50 International, National and State Awards for Architecture and Interior Designs
- Winner of the Hyderabad Metro Rail Landscaping Viaduct National Competition, Second Place March 2014.
- Won the Distinguished Alumni Award 2014 from National Institute of Technology, NIT, Tiruchirapalli, for the Golden Jubilee Celebrations from Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam, Former President of India.
- Won ASIA Fest 2013-14 Artists in Concrete Awards at Pune for Accord Hotel Puducherry, February 2014.
- Won ASIA Fest 2013-14 Artists in Concrete Awards at Pune for Apollo Wellness Center, February 2014
- Won National Award, Indian Buildings Congress, Award for Excellence in Built Environment 2013 for Accord Hotel, Puducherry
- Won National Award, Indian Buildings Congress, Award for Excellence in Built Environment 2013 for Best Paper State of the Art Building Technology.
- Won National Award, Indian Buildings Congress, Award for Excellence in Built Environment, 2012, for the ETL BPO Park, Chennai. Awarded by Smt. Deepa Dasmunshi, Union Minister of State for Urban Development, Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, January 17, 2013
- Won National Award, Indian Buildings Congress, Award for Excellence in Built Environment, 2012, for the Tecpro Towers, Chennai. Awarded by Smt. Deepa Dasmunshi, Union Minister of State for Urban Development, Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, January 17, 2013
- Won National Award, Indian Buildings Congress, Award for Excellence in Built Environment, 2012, for the Hindustan University Library, Chennai. Awarded by Smt. Deepa Dasmunshi, Union Minister of State for Urban Development, Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, January 17, 2013
- Won Artists in Concrete Awards (AISA-2012), for the Hindustan Library
- Won Artists in Concrete Awards (AISA-2012), for the ETL BPO Park, Chennai.
- Excellence in Public works Architecture, Construction Industry Awards 2012, Kattuman Thozhil, September 16 2012, presented by Dr. K Rosaiah, His Excellency The Governor of Tamilnadu.
- WOMEN’S ACHIEVER AWARD, 2012 FROM STAR VIJAY TV.
- Architectural Creation of the Year Award – Runner, Awarded by the Indian Institute of Architects – Tamilnadu Chapter, April 28, 2012.
- Won National Artists in Concrete Awards ( AICA) at Pune, 2012 for the Space Planning & Functionality township Architecture, Citilight Apartment, Chennai.
- Won National Artists in Concrete Awards ( AICA) at Pune, 2012 for the Functionality Architecture township, Citilight Apartment, Chennai
- Won National Artists in Concrete Awards ( AICA) at Pune, 2012 for the Aesthetic Excellance Township Architecture, Citilight Apartment, Chennai.
- Won National Artists in Concrete Awards ( AICA) at Pune, 2012 for the Educational – BIG Safe Zone – Architecture , Sastra Boitech Park
- Won National Artists in Concrete Awards ( AICA) at Pune, 2012 for the Innovative Materials Hotel Interior BIG , Accord Hotel
- Won National Artists in Concrete Awards ( AICA) at Pune, 2012 for the Cultural Architecture BIG Overall Excellence, HIET Library
- Outstanding Achiever’s Award, Indian Architecture Design Festival (IADF2011) September 16, 2011.
- Citilights Meadows-Social Housing & Public Housing selected by IIA to participate at the ARCASIA 2011-2012, Vietnam.
- Award for “Excellence in Built Environment-2009” for Citilights Meadows Apartments, Chennai, by Indian Building Congress, Awarded by Honourable
Minister. Mr. S. Jaipal Reddy & Mr. Mangat Ram Singhal , 17 June 2010 New Delhi.
- Archi Design Award 2009 Award for Best Institutional Building 2009 for Sastra Arts & Sciences, Tanjore.
- Award for 20th IIA-Awards 2008 for Excellence in Architecture for “Sastra Biotech Park”, Tanjore, Tamilnadu by the Indian Institute of Architects Nov 2008. Received Award from Architect Vinay M. Parelkar, President, The Indian Institute of Architects, on May 29th, 2009 at Town Hall, Kolkata.
- Chairman’s Award 2007, Archi Design Awards for Excellence in Architecture.
- Society Interiors 2006 – Award for Creative Excellence in Architecture & Interiors.
- The Built Environment 2004 Award from Union Minister Mr. Ghulam Nabi Azad.
- Best Ladies Circle for Area II from Round Table India 2003.
- Best Chairperson Award for Ladies Circle India 2003.
- President’s Theme Award from Ladies Circle India, 2003.
- Financial award for Graduate Studies, Cornell University, USA.
- Recipient of the College of Human Ecology Grant of Thesis Research.
- J N D Tata Endowment Scholarship for Higher Studies Abroad.
- Merit Scholarship throughout undergraduate studies.
- Won several awards for design and paper presentations at Regional and National levels.
- Honorable Mention, 1991 Salem Witch Trials Tercentenary National Design competition.
- Key Note speaker for Infratech International Conference, Chennai, April 2005, on Emerging Trends in Information Technology Parks.
- Speaker at the 15th Annual Convention, Indian Building Congress, July 19, 2009, on Innovative Materials in Building Construction, New Delhi.
- Speaker at the Mid Term Session of the Indian Building Congress, May 25, 2012, Kolkata, on Role of Architects in Pre Engineered Buildings.
- Speaker at the Indian Buildings Congress-Mid- term Session on Technological Advances in Construction Industry April 9, 2011, Haryana.
- Speaker at the 18th Annual Convention, Indian Building Congress, January 17-19, 2013 New Delhi, Training, Skill Upgradation & Competence Development in Building Industry.
- Indian Architect Delegate at the Arbitare Tempo, Verona October 23 to 25, 2012.
- Women in Architecture – Panel Speaker Economic Times – ET Edge, National Architecture & Design Summit, Mumbai August 28 & 29, 2013
- Speaker at the Indian Buildings Congress, Seminar on Information Technology in Construction Industry, New Delhi February 2014.
- Panel Speaker Real Estate Conference, Chennai May 2014.
- Speaker at Washrooms and Beyond Conference, Ahmedabad May 3, 2014.
- Speaker at the Indian Kitchen Congress, Bengaluru May 23, 2014.
- Lectured at various others Public and Private Institutions.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- Worked with Edward Larabbee Barnes Architect, New York City, USA. High Rise apartments, Office Towers, Educational Institutions, Stadiums
- National Trust of Historic Preservation, Washington D.C., USA.
ARCHITECTURE JURIES/UNIVERSITY EXAMINER/ EXHIBITIONS
- B. Arch Thesis Review Panel (Internal) for Anna University for Measi Academy of Architecture, Chennai.
- B. Arch thesis juror/ faculty for Anna University for Measi Academy of Architecture, New College, Chennai and School of Architecture & Planning, Chennai, Anna University.
- Inside – Outside Jury for the best Product Stalls, September 8, 2012, Chennai
- Indian Architect & Builder/LEGRAND Design Directions 50 firms, India Exhibition, Chennai October 15, 2010.
- National Honorary Jury Member, The Economic Times ACETECH Design Wall Team, August 30, 2013, Mumbai
- Architecture and Interior Design of various blue-chip companies spaces.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Hotels – Five and Three Star Hotels & Resorts.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Software / I.T. Parks.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Industrial spaces.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Luxury Homes.
- Architecture and Interior Design of Institutional campus spaces.
SOCIAL SERVICE ACTIVITIES
- International Roster of Architects United Nations, for UNCHS, 1994.
- Paul Harris Fellow, 1998.
- Chairperson, Madras Mylapore Ladies Circle No. 4 – Year 2003.
- Ladies Circle India, Convener, Women Achievement Awards, 2002.
- Rotary Club and Round Table Organizations.
- Construction of noon-meal centres in Chennai.
- Construction of Tsunami Housing in Tamil Nadu.
- Construction of school for children of leprosy victims for the Rising Star Outreach.
- Organized several medical camps as part of Rotary activities.
- Constructed school facilities for under-privileged children in Tamil Nadu.
- Registered Architect, Indian Institute of Architects.
- Registered Architect, Council of Architecture.
- Associate, American Institute of Architects.
- Associate, American Society of – Interior Design.
- Associate, American Planners Association.
- Associate, American Solar Energy Society.
- Associate, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.
- Member, Indian Institute of – Interior Design.
- Member, National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- Member, Ladies Circle India.